Director of Engineering and Utilities - Planning and Facilities Management
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Director of Engineering and Utilities - Georgetown University's Planning and Facilities Management
The Director of Engineering and Utilities provides leadership in a team-oriented participative management environment for a professional engineering group involved in the design and engineering stewardship and oversees the procurement and distribution of electricity, natural gas, and domestic water and the production and distribution of chilled water and steam for the University. Reporting to the Associate VP, Facilities Operations, the Director of Engineering and Utilities' duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support and oversight of an engaged department identifying and addressing system deficiencies, increasing system efficiency and adaptability, and expanding infrastructure and production to deal with growing campus demand.
- Supervise the preparation and review of professional engineering and architectural designs. Manage design budgets and schedules; developing and maintaining effective working relationships with customers while developing and managing a professional engineering staff.
- Responsible to maintain the university's design standards and lead a team of engineering subject matter experts who provide consulting services to the university community.
- Represent the University's interests in infrastructure matters with senior administrators, local officials, faculty, and others.
- Provide leadership and guidance, coach, mentor, and ensure training of all department associates for professional growth and development, which includes a diverse staff.
- Serve as Designer of Record in the review and authorization of all designs produced by Facilities Engineering. This responsibility carries all professional and ethical obligations
- Manages the selection, retention, and quality control of engineering firms working in a consulting capacity on University projects.
- Serves as a primary steward for building systems. Oversees that design, construction, and maintenance at the university is the appropriate life cycle choices that meet standards for safety and functionality.
The Director of Engineering and Utilities will have a high degree of accountability with regard to the relationship with the campus community and external constituents.
- Overall understanding of facilities with a strong business acumen (which includes familiarity with budgets, financial reporting, and forecasting
- Familiarity with applicable codes and regulations related to facilities, residential facilities in a University setting and building system operations
- Strong communication and presentations skills, experience presenting highly technical information to a broad and diverse audience.
- Provide excellent customer service to the university community by demonstrating collaboration and ensuring effective communication processes are maintained
- Plan and evaluate departmental operational activities and priorities by providing strategic leadership and operational expertise to all staff.
- Advance positive organizational efforts which promote a respectful, collaborative, solutions-based, and proactive culture
- Advocate to ensure that work functions are effectively structured and work procedures are in place to deliver high quality and efficient programs and services
- Champion goals of diversity, equity and inclusion in alignment with organizational strategic plan
- Familiar with CADD, CMMS, project software and various other programs that serve to continually improve service and delivery processes. Capture and analyzing operations data, including customer satisfaction indicators, for productivity and service improvements
- Support University sustainability initiatives and identify new opportunities throughout the department and campus
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field.
- Must have and maintain a Professional Engineer License.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience leading a design team.
- Considerable experience in facilities design and operation.
- Managerial and leadership experience is required.
- Ability to effectively motivate and lead a team of professionals to provide customer-oriented design services to the campus community.
- Proven success in building relationships and working in a collaborative way with other facilities professionals in the delivery of services.
- Prior experience in managing the design and construction of projects and the ability to scope and estimate maintenance projects, ideally in a higher education environment.
- Mechanical, or Structural engineering degrees.
- Experience assuming similar functions in a High Education environment.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Director-of-Engineering-and-Utilities---Georgetown-University-s-Georgetown-University-s-Planning-and-Facilities-Management-_JR08328
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency