Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor's degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in Electrical Engineering or within another closely related discipline. Five (5) years of full-time electrical engineering experience. Experience in preparation of electrical system designs, including but not limited to lighting, power distribution systems, high voltage, switchgear, transformer, and generator selection. Working knowledge of New York State building code and National Electric Code (NEC) to ensure proper electrical designs. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver's License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes").
Master's degree (foreign equivalent or higher). New York State Professional Engineering License. Proficiency with AutoCAD 2022. Field experience in supervising the physical implementation of providing design services. Experience designing Research Labs, and research equipment.
Brief Description of Duties:
The purpose of the Electrical Engineering is to keep the Capital workload as well as local projects moving at an acceptable rate. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provide engineering design services for physical alteration work that is funded by the Capital Plan and local projects to be administered by the design and construction department. These services include diagnosis of the problem, identification of the solution, design of the solution, review of drawings prepared by draftsman, preparation of specifications when needed, evaluation of bids when needed, inspection of construction work, verification that construction work done meets specifications, and verification that actual design solves the original problem. The incumbent must be able to draw their own electrical design in AutoCAD. Lighting design of interior lighting, lighting calculations, and exterior roadway, pedestrian and parking lot lighting design is also a consideration.
- Provide engineering design and management services for new facilities and alterations to existing facilities. These services include participation in the planning process, working with internal and external architect or engineering firms, review finished drawings to verify that campus program specifications have been met, and selected inspection of construction work to see that completed work meets specifications. Manage electrically based projects such as switchgear replacement, transformer replacement or emergency generator replacement projects.
- Manage multiple design projects concurrently, both Capital and local projects for inhouse design and design with outside consultant architects and engineers. Review work submitted by consultants for completeness, clarity, constructability, correctness and taking into account all applicable New York State and National Electric Codes (NEC). Develop and maintain Campus Standards.
- Provide engineering and management assistance to Campus Operations and Maintenance and/or Utilities in the form of critical Maintenance projects. Incumbent will assess the problems, investigate, develop estimates, design the solution and oversee the construction of said problem. Consult on an "as needed" basis with the East and West Physical Plants, including the Hospital, on their energy and high voltage needs. Hospital projects may require consultation on both normal power and emergency power.
- Attend project meetings as assigned. Develop drawings for the electrical, mechanical, and plumbing designers. Develop bid specifications for outside contractors for project designs, which includes defining and specifying all materials and products required to complete projects and produce specifications for purchasing. Keep supervisor updated with regard to assigned projects.
- Maintain communications with construction staff.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full-time appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such may be required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are canceled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
In addition to the employee's base salary, this position is eligible for $3,087 UUP annual location pay, paid biweekly.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of start date.
For this position, we are unable to sponsor candidates for work visas.
This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. For full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date. If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
To apply, visit https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2303075&tz=GMT%2B00%3A00&tzname=UTC
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency